As an effort to bring awareness and additional resources to people suffering, the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HSS) designated the Month of May as National Arthritis awareness month. As the number one cause of disability, arthritis impacts more than 50 million Americans. By designating the month of May, the HHS encourages individuals and health-related organizations to help provide education about arthritis.
Facts about Arthritis
The Arthritis Foundation recently published facts about arthritis to help people further understand the condition.
- Nearly 300,000 children have arthritis or a rheumatic condition.
- Almost half of adults suffering from arthritis have at least one other disease.
- Arthritis costs the U.S. economy more than $86 billion a year.
- As one of the oldest diseases, arthritis has been found in the remains of people living nearly 500,000 years ago.
- Some people with arthritis report feeling better in warmer areas.
- The disease affects more women than men.
Volunteer with the Arthritis Foundation
Focused on finding a cure for the disease, the Arthritis Foundation provides several volunteer opportunities that allow people to give back. Visit http://www.arthritis.org/get-involved/volunteer/ to begin making a difference in the lives of millions.
Find Pain Relief
Let the doctors at Arthritis Care of Texas work with you to alleviate your pain and discomfort. Call us today at (469) 399-5673 to schedule a free, no obligation screening.